Thursday, November 25, 2010

Baked Apple Stuff (a Recipe)

Well, this is a first for me. I have never posted a recipe. I guess that's because I'm not always too confident of my culinary expertise. However, I performed a little experiment with some apples and pears. It turned out to be a yummy experiment so I'll share it. I highly recommend organic stuff if you can get it.



Ingredients:

2 granny smith apples peeled, cored and chunked

3 red pears peeled, cored and chunked

1 braeburn apple peeled, cored and chunked

2 handfuls of raisins (organic raisins will plump back into grapes!)

1/4-1/2 cup honey (I didn't measure. But I do think it was closer to 1/4 cup.)

1/4 tsp powdered ginger

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

2 Tbsp water (I didn't measure the water. I think I put closer to 1/4 cup and thought it was too much.)



After chunking apples and pears, put them in a deep, round casserole dish that has a cover. Heat the oven to 300 degrees (or 350 if you're in a hurry). Add the raisins over the top. In a small bowl blend the honey and spices well. Drizzle the mixture over the apples. Add the water to the dish. Cover. Check periodically and stir if necessary. The dish is done when the apples are the desired tenderness.



It was a well-liked dish for our Thanksgiving meal. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Oh...this sounds so good and I actually bought several pounds of apples for apple butter but have some extra! Thanks so much for the recipe. : )